thecocknbullkid - I'm Not Sorry


It seems a suitable way to celebrate our return to the music world - one kid reviewing another.

thecocknbullkid is otherwise known as Anita Blay. On her latest single I'm Not Sorry she uses
the time-honoured techniques of slick 80's pop and being a complete bitch to make you really like her.

"I might be wrong but I’m not sorry / I’d do it again and again”, she sings almost blissfully on the chorus. She resolutely does not need to be liked. When she asks “do you hate me?” it’s not a pitiful plea, more a demand. She is so spiteful, if you don’t hate her then you are a fool.

But more fool us, for I'm Not Sorry is a thoroughly rewarding faceful of bile set to thumping electronic beats and an utterly compelling synth riff that’s so 80s it could be a Gold Blend ad - though instead of smug neighbourly flirting now there's bitterness and affairs being uncovered over acrid instant coffee.

The b-side There's A Mother In Our Bed sees Blay assume a chatty Lily Allen style, though far nastier. “I’d rather see her in a hearse” she sings, rather cheerily referring to her boyfriend’s mother. The music is dark and gritty, all crunching beats and downbeat atmosphere - like late-era Massive Attack though with a touch of M.I.A. if she had missed a flight to Rio and ended up stuck on a train in Hounslow.

Watch the video to I'm Not Sorry

www.myspace.com/thecocknbullkid




Comments